About Us

Mayesville Presbyterian Church is located in the historic farming community of Mayesville, South Carolina.  Between the years 1875 and 1880, settlers in Mayesville who had come down from Virginia and up the Black River from the coastal region recognized the need for a church in the community.  A majority of those settlers were attending the Salem Black River Presbyterian Church and Mount Zion Presbyterian Church.  After an application to form a church was made to the Harmony Presbytery at their fall meeting in October of 1880, Mayesville Presbyterian Church was organized in January of 1881.

In the mid 1980’s, Mayesville became a congregation of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.  The Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church was organized in Philadelphia on November 1, 1782 with the merger of Associate Presbyterians and Reformed Presbyterians, both of which originated in Scotland. 

Mayesville Presbyterian Church is theologically reformed in what we believe and teach.  We believe the Bible to be God’s Word, infallible and inerrant in all that it teaches. We are a confessional church in that we believe that the Westminster Confession of Faith, together with the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, accurately summarize the teaching of Scripture and the theological foundations upon which we stand.  Our church is Presbyterian in government and Calvinistic in doctrine. 

 

Our History at a Glance


1875-1880

Settlers from Virginia and the Coastal Plain region of South Carolina identify need for a church in the community

Oct. 1880
Application to form a church made to Harmony Presbytery

Jan. 1881
Mayesville Presbyterian Church organized; services held in local lodge building

1892
First church building completed

1907
Manse completed

1952
Sunday school wing completed

May 1975
Church building destroyed by fire from lightning strike

1977
First service held in the new sanctuary

Mid 1980s
The congregation became a member of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian (ARP) Church

2005
Sunday school wing renovated; Morrison Hall added

The ARP Church was organized in Philadelphia on November 1, 1782
with the merger of Associate Presbyterians and Reformed Presbyterians,
both of which originated in Scotland